The triceps is also called the triceps brachii that is a large muscle present on the back of the upper limb of many vertebrates. The triceps, as the name suggests, has three different heads: the long head, lateral head, and medial head. All of these heads contract during triceps exercises. It is the muscle principally responsible for the extension of the elbow joint.
Strong arms are important for almost every upper body movement you do each day and your triceps are often the heavy lifters. The best way to build strong, firm triceps is to choose the exercises that hit all those muscle fibres from every angle. If you are a beginner and are in search of the best exercises for triceps, here I will tell you about the best exercises for the triceps
- Close grip bench press
- Skull crusher
- Triceps pushdown
- Reverse grip triceps extension
- Triceps Dips
- Diamond Push-Ups
- Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extension
Rather than doing all of these moves in the same workout, focus on choosing a combination of exercises that emphasize all the different areas of the triceps.
Close Grip Bench Press
Close grip bench press for triceps is one of the basic and compound exercises defined as the compound exercise that is performed for the shaping of triceps muscle by lying on a flat bench and lifting a weighted barbell. This exercise is often used as an accessory movement for the traditional bench press, or as a triceps builder for arms training.
Importance of Close Grip Bench Press
- The close-grip bench press is a great bench press variation that increases triceps strength and hypertrophy, lockout performance and can help to minimize the stress on the shoulders.
- The close-grip bench press is an exercise that can build mass and develop triceps strength. When this triceps workout exercise is used in conjunction with the other pressing exercises, it can complete a balance pressing program that targets the shoulders, chest and triceps.
Skull Crusher or Lying Triceps Extension
Skull crusher is also known as lying triceps extensions is an effective exercise for anyone to build strength and size of triceps. It is an isolation exercise that is used to build the triceps muscle group in the upper arm. The skull crusher exercise for the triceps gets its name because if you use a poor form you could endanger your skull.
It is one of the best exercises for Triceps muscles. This exercise can be done with many types of equipment. That includes such things as dumbbells, barbells, EZ-bar and even the cable machine. Each may provide a better advantage for your triceps workout, but it really depends on the person doing the exercise.
Importance of Skull Crusher or Lying Triceps Extension
- The skull crusher is an accessory movement to increase triceps strength and hypertrophy. This can also help increase injury resistance for the elbow joint and improve overall elbow extension abilities necessary for sports performance.
- The skull crusher is a push exercise that helps the triceps brachii in isolation. It works this muscle from the elbow up to the latissimus dorsi of the back.
- This exercise is often used to fix imbalances associated with the triceps, for injury therapy, or in body-building.
Triceps pushdown is one of the best exercises for triceps use for developing the size and providing strength to your triceps muscles. This exercise usually uses the resistance or cable machine to work all three heads of triceps brachii by extension of the elbow joint. triceps pulldown, triceps rope pushdown, and cable triceps pushdown are the other names used for this exercise.
Importance of Triceps Pushdown
- The triceps pushdown can help to increase upper body arm size (see below), enhance general pressing strength, and ultimately improve performance of the shoulders and chest muscles as they are often the secondary muscle group for most mass-building movements like bench press, push press, pushups, dips, etc.
- The triceps are responsible for elbow extension and elbow/shoulder/wrist stability in the extended position, both of which are necessary for a strong lockout in the bench press, overhead press, and all of the overhead loaded positions.
Reverse grip triceps extension
Triceps workout like reverse grip triceps extension is a lightweight upper body exercise that targets the forearms, triceps and upper chest. Among the list of best exercises for triceps this exercise holds the third number. Reverse grip triceps Pushdown is another name of this exercise that helps in targeting the back of the upper arm.
Importance of Reverse grip triceps extension
- This exercise is supreme and ideal for bodybuilders, athletes or anyone who is trying to build arm strength.
- This is an isolation exercise rather than compound motion. These isolation exercises are good for the body because it allows you to correct the muscle imbalance or provides strength to your body. You can perform reverse grip triceps pushdown if you have strong arms than your chest, this is done to compensate for the imbalance.
Usually, it is asked what triceps dips? How it can be performed? is it included in the list of best exercises for triceps? Triceps Dips is one of the best exercises of triceps. This is a great bodyweight exercise that builds arm and shoulder strength. This exercise can be done almost anywhere and has many variations to match your fitness level. Triceps dips will work for all three triceps muscles, and simply must be part of any effective triceps workout or bodyweight workout.
Triceps Dips workout can be performed in many ways like Triceps dips on a bench or bench dips, Triceps dips with two chairs, Triceps dips with one chair, Triceps dips on the floor and Triceps dips on parallel bars. All of these types of workouts are very targeted exercises for your triceps and can be done anywhere.
Triceps Dips Benefits
- This is one of the most effective exercises which helps to activate the triceps muscles in your upper arm. Additionally, you should activate your core when you hold your hips off the ground.
- These triceps dips are used for pushing, and you will have to engage them in daily activities that need pushing.
Step by Step Instruction
- First of all, you have to find a stable chair, bench, or step.
- Now sit on the edge of a chair and then grip the edge next to your hips.
- While doing this your figure must be pointed at your feet and your legs are extended and your feet should be about hip-width along with the heels touching the ground. Now look straight ahead with your chin up.
- Press into your palms for lifting your body and slide forward so that your behind will clear the chair edge.
- Now you should lower yourself in such a way that your elbows are bent between 45 to 90 degrees
- After this, push yourself to the starting position and repeat the exercise. Control the movement with the help of a range of motion.
- Start with 3 sets of 10 repetitions and increase your reps and steps after few weeks when your muscles are built and your triceps are full of strength.
Diamond Push-up Guide: How to do Master Diamond Push-ups
Diamond push-ups are also known as triceps or triangle push-ups. It is an advanced variation of the classic push-up. Perform these push-ups by bringing your hands too close together which form a diamond or triangle shape below your chest.
While doing this you should exercise to keep your back and legs in a straight line and push yourself off the ground. Diamond push-ups are one of the best triceps exercises that engage and work the lateral head of the 3-headed triceps muscle.
Diamond Push-ups Benefits
- The diamond pushup is a fantastic exercise for building the overall size and strength of your triceps.
- This provides an effective workout for three upper body muscle groups: triceps, pecs, and deltoids.
Step by Step Instructions
- First of all, start in a plank position on all fours with your legs stretched or extended behind you and your hands fixed and stacked directly under your shoulders.
- Now, place your hands close together and spread your fingers to create a diamond shape with the help of index fingers.
- After this, begin to lower your chest to the floor and always remember to keep your back flat during this exercise.
- Press back up into a full arm extension and perform 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 15 repetitions.
Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extension
The overhead triceps extension is an isolation exercise that targets your triceps muscles by repetitively flexing the elbow joint against resistance. If you are a beginner start with this exercise before moving on to the skull crushers.
You can do the triceps extension standing, sitting or lying down and either flat or on an incline. You can also do this exercise with different types of weight like barbells or an EZ bar.
Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extension Benefits
- The overhead triceps extension is a strong move that targets the back of your upper arm, at the place where triceps brachii muscles are present.
- All 3 heads of triceps muscles come together to help extend the elbow, so it’s a really effective move.
- There are a ton of moves to sculpt your triceps, but this can challenge the stability of your shoulder girdle.
Step by Step Instructions
- First of all, start standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and dumbbells present in front of you.
- After this raise the dumbbells above your head until arms are stretched out straight.
- Now, slowly lower the weights back behind the head, prevent the flaring of elbows too much.
- Once your forearms move beyond the parallel to the floor, bring the weight back up to the starting position.
- Your upper arms should remain in place throughout the movement.
- Perform 4 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions.